The 1119th Quartermaster Company Service Group Avn (RS) was originally activated as the Det. QMC 3rd Supply, Avn, on 11 February 1942 at Florence Army Air Base, South Carolina. After twice being redesignated, it removed to Hattiesburg AAB, Mississippi, as the 166th QM Co. Service Group in mid-August 1942. That was still the unit's designation on 6 January 1943 when, after a brief stay at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey, it departed for overseas service. Nine days later it arrived at Army Air Force Station 110, Polebrook, in the U.K. On 29 January 1943, while the 384th Bomb group was still at Wendover, Utah, Hq. 166th QM Co., consisting of two officers and 38 enlisted men, was transferred to AAF Station 106, Grafton Underwood. A month before the bomb group arrived, the QM unit was redesignated 1119th QM Co. Service Grp., Avn, under the following officers: Captain Vernon M. Bell, Jr., Commanding, 1st Lieutenant Jack L. Frankel, and 2nd Lieutenant Robert J. Lawler.
The Quartermaster Company was based on the technical site but operated all over the station serving each unit on base. The QMC's primary assignment was managing and distributing supplies of a domestic nature. Each company contained 14 sections. The 1119th QMC was assigned to the 443rd Sub Depot at Grafton Underwood. There were 57 personnel assigned to the company including 54 Enlisted Men and three Officers.
Each company contained 14 sections, with each having an assigned task: